Smoothie Bowls: What are those Instagram Phenomenons?

September 18, 2017

Smoothie bowls. What the heck are those you may be wondering? Smoothie bowls are essentially a smoothie topped with fruit, nuts and anything else nutritious you can find! They are more satisfying than a regular smoothie as you can't just down it and you can really appreciate the taste and variety of texture. The best thing about a smoothie bowl is how creative you can be! The more diverse the colours, textures and types of food the better! I am pretty new in the smoothie bowl hype but my favourite recipes I have created so far are below!

Smoothie Bowl


Frozen Banana, Blueberry, Coffee and Coconut Milk Smoothie Bowl

This smoothie bowl is PERFECT for breakfast or as a late morning snack as it contains caffeine, giving that little energy boost that you may need, especially on a Monday morning!

Ingredients (for two)
1 frozen banana
2 handfuls blueberries
1 tsp instant coffee
300ml coconut milk
1 banana
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp shredded coconut
2 handfuls of almonds
1 tsp cacao powder
2 tsp peanut butter
4 walnuts


  1. Add the frozen banana, blueberries, coffee and coconut milk to a blender and blend. Pour into two separate bowls.
  2. Slice a banana and add half to the top of each smoothie bowl.
  3. Sprinkle ½ tsp cacao powder, ½ tsp chia seeds and ½ tsp shredded coconut.
  4. Add a handful of almonds, 2 chopped walnuts and 1 tsp of peanut butter to each smoothie bowl.
  5. Enjoy this amazing flavour sensation! You wouldn’t think something this good could be so healthy!
Smoothie Bowl

Frozen Banana, Strawberry and Coconut Milk Smoothie Bowl

This smoothie bowl is the perfect snack in between meals or because it is so naturally sweet, as a dessert.

Ingredients (for two)
2 frozen bananas
12 strawberries
300ml coconut milk
1 kiwi fruit
1 tsp chia seeds
2 tbsp blueberries
Handful of almonds
1 tsp shredded coconut


  1. Blend the frozen bananas along with 10 strawberries and the coconut milk (you may have to add more or less depending on the size of the bananas and strawberries). Pour into two separate bowls.
  2. Slice 1 kiwi fruit, leaving the skin on, into thin slices and place equal amounts gently on top of the smoothie in each bowl.
  3. Add 1 tbsp of blueberries, 1 sliced strawberry and half a handful of almonds on top of each smoothie
  4. Add ½ tsp of chia seeds and sprinkle ½ tsp of shredded coconut on top of each smoothie.
  5. Enjoy the taste and the vibrancy of this bowl!
I can't wait to continue experimenting with more smoothie bowls. I'm tempted to even try a vegetable smoothie bowl! Just remember, the more texture, colour and ingredients the better but most of all, enjoy getting creative!

Today is my first day of my MSc degree in Nutrition in Leeds and it’s safe to say that I am extremely nervous but I am also so excited to get my teeth into a subject I am really passionate about. I don't know my way around the campus (I think I can remember my way there) so I'm sure I'm going to get lost with my lack of sense of direction, wish me luck!

What is your favourite smoothie bowl that you've made or tried? Let me know in the comments below!

Follow me on Twitter: LeanneBradley94    Instagram: leannebradley94    Snapchat: leanne.bradley

You Might Also Like

0 comments